Tuesday 16 March 2010

I went to Massive Attack the other night.
I haven't been out for sooooo long that I wasn't even sure what to wear.
Luckily, our nanny, who's 23, told me to wear jeans and a t-shirt. So I went and bought a t-shirt that wasn't a fitted, black v-neck. It's purple with bat-wing type sleeves, so I'd look a bit more up-to-date.
Well, to me, it's a bit more 80s. I actually looked for something I'd have worn in my first year at university, which was in the late 80s. Stovepipes - sorry, skinny jeans - are also back, so I'm back in my Zambesi jeans from waaaay back. And the pointy-toed flats I bought in 1986.
You might ask why I've still got clothes from so long ago? Well, they went out of fashion while they were still lightly worn, because I tend to hold out again trends until the very last minute, then buy everything and get left with clothes that I just can't be seen in because they are so four years ago.
And then, I keep them.
I grew up with a mother who kept laughing at my clothes and saying: "Oh, I wore that 20 years ago." I raided her wardrobe for trench coats, 60s dresses, hippy tops and student bags.
I figured that the 80s would eventually come round again, and I was right.
But I still have bags and boxes full of 90s grunge stuff that I think I'll be too old for once that all comes around again.
Maybe the girls will be old enough to wear them by then?

No comments:

Post a Comment